18 October 2012

Mother is a Verb, Not a Noun

Beach has always been our favorite summer destination when I and my siblings were young. A day before our every trip, we used to prepare our swimsuits.  While on the beach and were  screaming with happiness, my mother stood at the shore the whole day, reminding us not to go down far than a waste-deep. I remember her hands on the waste and her neck stretched the highest possible height just to count us and checked  if all her six sons and daughters were still floating on the water. If my mother had applied for a lifeguard position, she would have passed the long-standing requirement. I hated her when she often called me just not to miss lunch or when she reminded me to put on a towel at my back while at offshore and wet. 

Two days ago, my family went to Pattaya. Prior to that, I and my husband were busy buying some Dylan's stuffs. A night before the trip I stayed late  packing our things, including Dylan's milk, bottles, clothes, slippers and shoes, and diapers. Going out-of-town with a very hyper son requires a lot of strength and energy. Most of the time Dylan wanted to be carried and cuddled. When I allowed him to walk, he was too energized to run. When I asked him to sit, when we traveled on a ferry to Koh Larn, he just stood and sang for almost 40 minutes and I'm pretty sure there were passengers who got irritated with his music.

On that moment on, I remembered my mother. I remember how much sacrifice she did just to make us six happy. I only have one son, and sometimes I almost lose patience. You can't understand a mother, unless you become a mother yourself and that what makes me love my mother more. I remember my sister once said, "You're not single anymore. You have a son and a husband. You should know your priorities."

People have their own definition of happiness. Some are happy when they have new make-ups, clothes, or new relationships but I find happiness when I sacrifice my own just to make my loved ones happy. Yes, I and my husband were so dead tired with that trip but our son's laughter, hugs, claps, and "a-bu (i love you)" are priceless. :)


















No comments:

Post a Comment