11 June 2011

Sea, Sand, and Stone

(A Traveler's Entry 1)
When my husband told me that he will bring me to his hometown I couldn't stop pulling the days of going back to the Philippines. My mind wandered as I compute the grades of my students. Upon stepping at Ninoy Aquino International Airport, I saw him with a bunch of roses welcoming me. Yes, at that moment I really said  “I am Home”.

Three weeks of vacation is such a short time so I tried to list all my activities.   Some says that gimmicks are well remembered if not well planned. Yet, my to-do-list was not followed as we decided to buy an air ticket a day before our departure. It wasn’t my first time to ride in an airplane though, but I was awed in the aerial view of our country. It is such a majestic creation, specially the islands surrounded with the vastness of the ocean. Up high, the sea is like a bed of diamonds, as the waves sparkle under the scorching heat of the sun.  

Influx of tourists arrived at Caticlan Airport and the locals were hospitable. Good thing I was with the true-blood Aklanon excluding us with extra frees at the airport. On our way to Tangalan, Aklan, I couldn’t avoid comparing the place to Baguio City except of  course to the trees which the former have a lot of coconuts and the latter mostly of pines. As we traveled on the zigzag road, I didn’t feel any dizziness for I was captivated with the view below the cliff. As we reached the mainland and finally got home, I found a place of peace where  a wide rice fields surrounding the house. Mouth-watering dishes fresh from the sea which is half mile away from the house, were served later that day. Shrimps, squids, crabs, and first-class fish, which were quite expensive in Manila, were almost free there. My cravings were truly satisfied. 


Next on our destination was the famous Boracay. The view was so inviting so we spent the whole afternoon playing along the seashore amidst the heat of the sun. When we were tired we just decided to sit under the coconut tree embracing the serenity of the place.Every one on that island was blissful that you couldn’t even notice any problem on their faces.Men were shouting as they were para-sailing. Ladies screamed out loud as they enjoyed riding the banana boat.
We were ready to barhop when the sun went down. Dancing, fire-circus show, and other sea -sand activities sprang like mushrooms as the night grew deeper. As the shows went hotter and hotter and as we decided to party until the break of dawn, the rain fell on the island like cats and dogs.

 
On our last day, tatay toured us in Jawili - another place in Aklan. Our road trip to Jawili beach is compared to Quezon Province of the South, where numerous coconut trees welcomed us before we reached the place. The sand may not be as white as Boracay but it was great too. One of their pride is their Jawili falls also known as the Seven Basin Falls. Crystal water flowed from one basin to another. As I climbed high on the mountain the more I appreciated its beauty. 


Our final destination was Kalibo. We dropped–by on Aklan’s capital to buy some ‘pasalubong’ Our vacation was really awesome. It was indeed a memorable experience. Given a chance, I’ll go back there again...and again...and again.    




   

No comments:

Post a Comment